Friday, May 23, 2008

Bless Their Heart

I haven't had the privilege of knowing any southern baptists that were a bit, um, up in the years before working with a couple of them these past 2 years. But since I've had this pleasure, I've noticed that they are just.... polite. As people, we just have this unction to please people, to be polite. It is a way of showing love but in a non commital, non showy way. You are a stranger, but I don't hate you, and as a way of showing my respect for you being a person, just like me, I'll be polite. It is an act of love. I'm real big on manners. I'm not Miss Manners. I don't care if you do something a particular way, but I can tell when strangers are showing other strangers love or hate. However they accomplish that doesn't really matter.

Here is my new favorite phrase. Well, um, first, let me say, that while I admire manners, I INSIST on authenticity. Be as much the real you as you can, all the time. I have no single clue why I think this is vital to human existence, I just do. So, my favorite phrase; bless his heart.

What an amazingly polite and authentic way of saying, "I can't stand that bastard."

No comments: