Friday, November 14, 2008

A Friend's Take

A friend wrote an excellent little blog entry that spoke to me here. It is about being a Christian in this nation and how she feels about President Elect, Barack Obama. I really couldn't find much I didn't agree with personally. I really wanted to expound upon this statement she made.

"As Paul put down, I as a Christian serve two kingdoms; the kingdom of God, and the kingdom of whichever ruler God sees fit to hand the reins."

I think Christian's as a whole are confused about America. We seem to have this overwhelming belief and conviction that this is a Christian nation, and it isn't. Iraq is a Muslim nation. That means their laws are directly affected by what the Koran and other holy texts say. Israel is a Hebrew nation which means its laws are affected and based on what the Torah says. That is what it means to be a religious nation. America is a free nation. We are a nation that stands aside any and all religions, but not within them. So for us, as Christians to make laws because something is a sin under one religion or another is not patriotic. It is persecution. The constitution of this great nation bases all of its laws on the rights of a free man. What is humane? What does every person deserve that is within our power to give? What can we do as a government to protect the people under our umbrella? These are questions for our leaders. What we should never expect our leaders to ask is, "What would the God I serve consider sinful, and how should I legislate that?". Why? Because if that leader were an atheist, I don't want them legislating away my relgious rights. If that leader were a Muslim, I don't want them legislating what they consider to be Allah's will. I don't ever want the tables turned on me. So, no, I don't ever want my leaders to legislate what they think is the Christian right.

What I do want is for anyone of any religion is to take that first question, "What is humane?" and fit that into the context of their religious experience and come up with an answer. Let me use the homosexual marriage issue as an example. I do not want law makers looking at this issue and thinking, "Is this a sin?". That is for religious leaders and God to do. I want them to look at it and ask, "What is humane?". The humane answer that has nothing to do with religion is that homosexuals deserve every social right as heterosexuals. Their lifestyle breaks no federal, state, or city law, so therefore they do not deserve to be condemned under that law and kept from the rights I enjoy as a heterosexual. To do anything else is persecution because I am calling them under the law of my religion when I have no right to do that in this nation. As a Christian, I worry about what their eternity will look like, but as an American, I cannot deny rights I enjoy because I think they are sinning, but really they are breaking no American law. I should also say, I do not think there should be any law written to admonish or ban homosexuality in this country. Their lifestyle falls under the context of humane and should therefore be honored, just like we don't put adulterers (and I do not mean to impune the honor of homosexuals by using this example, just to say that Christians consider both of these actions a sin) under American law because what they do is not considered inhumane. It is terribly rude and insulting, but deserves no punishment outside of the direct consequences that typically follow such an act.

Christians, America is not a Christian nation. It's job it to protect and serve human rights, not Christian rights. Stop projecting your faith into legislature, but rather, let your faith raise you higher to always fight for human rights with a stronger conviction than those around you. Let God's love and acceptance find its way into your policies and speeches. Do not compromise, but do not persecute. Saying homosexuals should enjoy every legal and social right that heterosexuals do is not saying that you condone homosexuality. Stopping acting like a fox cornered. When we can live in peace with those we disagree with, we will enjoy the greatest amount of relgious freedom and expression because those around us who disagree won't feel threatened. Christ never kept sinners acountable, he kept his followers(who still sin too, lest we forget) accountable. It is the Father's job to judge, not ours. Never waiver in your beliefs and convictions, but do start treating everyone with the same love and respect you expect and hope to recieve. Fight with love, disagree with understanding, and stand firm upon human rights. This advice I would give to anyone of any religion or creed. I'll leave you with one thought, Christ followers. Sodom and Gamorah were burnt down to the ground. What was the one condition that God gave Abraham in order to save the cities? He said, "Find me ONE honorable person who fears me and I will spare the entire people." Be the one honorable person who fears the Lord. You do the fearing, and let God do the judging.

No comments: