Friday, October 3, 2008

AANNDDDDD I'm convinced!

If this midwifery route is for me, it will be the CPM. I just read a blog entry on a woman in CNM school who is basically in med school. I don't think so. I don't have the time, the money, or the heart to do that. No way. I have what I believe to be a very sound theory about the way life is going to be for U.S. citizens. It is going to be less rosy.

We live in such a time where we have the luxury of choice every day, all day. This won't last forever. We are one or two more major crisis's away from being just like every Joe blow country out there struggling to make it. I hope it doesn't happen, but it could. I can't take out the kind of loans it would take to get my CNM, because they could come take my house. I don't care to spend 8 years becoming a CNM because I want to be practicing ASAP. What if the crash happens before I am licensed (aka educated)? Then it was for naught and I still don't have a house. And I don't care to care for a woman through her whole life (and be educated to do it). I care to help women birth babies. When/If things end up for the rest of us like they are in Houston and New Orleans, then we need to be real. A birthing mom won't give a crap if I can prescribe a medication no one has access to, she cares if I can help get that kid out of her. Plus, I still believe that 8 years field experience is more valuable than 8 years of book experience that might have nothing to do with what I want to do anyway. If it is to be, then CPM it is, unless otherwise convinced.

No comments: